Transfer your holidays or have your holiday allowance paid out

If you do not take your holiday, you might lose it. If you have not used all of your holiday, you have the option of transferring the holiday to the next holiday year or having it paid out.

Disclaimer: This page has been automatically translated. It may contain grammatical inaccuracies, but the content is guaranteed to be correct.

As a salaried employee, you have the right to take 5 weeks of holiday each year.

4 of those weeks must be taken in the holiday year period from 1 September to 31 December in the following year.

If you are not able to take your holiday before the end of the holiday period on 31 December, you can either transfer your extra days of holiday or have your holiday allowance paid out.

Can I transfer my holiday?

You have the option of transferring holidays to the next holiday period. 

You do this by making a written agreement with your employer about the transfer of the holiday days before the end of the holiday period on 31 December.

You must be aware that holidays of up to 4 weeks that have not been taken during the holiday period cannot be transferred and you will therefore lose the holiday unless you are prevented from taking it. Legitimate holiday preventions can be illness, parental leave, adoption or other special reasons.

Visit to learn when you are prevented from taking your holiday. 

Can I transfer extra holiday entitlements or the 6th holiday week?

If you have additional holiday entitlements - sometimes referred to as the 6th holiday week - those extra days off can only be transferred or paid out if that opportunity is stated in the collective agreement under which you are employed.

A number of IDA's collective agreements contain rules regarding the transfer of holiday.

If you are employed in state, region, or municipality on a collective agreement with IDA, you can transfer holidays (incl. additonal holiday entitlements) beyond 20 days per year to the next year if you make a written agreement to do so with your employer. The agreement must be made before the end of the current holiday year on 31 December.

If you vacate a position before taking the agreed period of holidays, you lose your right to take the transferred days of holiday. In that case, you need to receive payment in lieu of untaken days of holiday.

Can I have my holiday allowance paid out?

If you have not made an agreement to transfer your days of holiday to the succeeding holiday year, your employer must automatically pay out any holiday in excess of 4 weeks at the end of the holiday year on 31 December.

If you have received one or more public benefits during the holiday year (e.g. unemployment benefits, early retirement pay, flexi-benefit etc.), the number of days with said benefit will be deducted from the holiday days for which you wish to receive the holiday benefit.

If you have received any of the listed public benefits in the holiday period, FerieKonto has to approve of the payout if you wish to receive holiday payout for a no longer active employment.

What happens to my holidays and my holiday allowance if I get a new job?

Read about holiday pay if you get a new job

Read about holiday pay if you are dismissed from your position