What does an IDA-membership cost?

Get an overview of IDA’s membership fees. The prices are stated per. month, but you pay per. quarter of the year or once a year. Student members pay every six months. A full membership costs DKK/quarterly 878,25 before tax.

You can adjust your membership data on your My IDA profile under 'My situation has changed".

All changes to your membership fee will come into effect from the next quarter of the year after you have updated your profile.

Payment of fees

It is up to you whether you prefer to pay your membership on a quarterly or annual basis. 

  • Student members must pay half-yearly
  • If you are unemployed, you must pay quarterly

You can read more about IDA's membership fees in IDA's Law and Statutes

Sign up for automatic payment of bills

With the automatic payment system Betalingsservice, you can pay all your bills automatically instead of receiving bills in your inbox. Unfortunately, the system is in Danish, but you can use automatic browser translation or use IDA's guide to Betalingsservice.

View IDA's guide to Betalingsservice

Has your employment status changed?

If you changed jobs or became unemployed, let IDA know. That way we can make sure you pay the right rate for your membership. Any changes to your membership fee due to your changed employment status come into effect from the first quarter of the year after IDA has been informed.

Check and update your current membership status via My IDA

For unemployed new graduates

As a result of the new rules with a lower unemployment benefit rate and a shorter unemployment benefit period for new graduates, IDA has introduced an option for a reduced membership fee for member's who are unemployed and recent graduates. 

  • Unemployed new graduates pay the regular membership fee for unemployed members in the first quarter.
  • For the following up to 3 quarters, the new reduced unemployment membership fee is paid.
  • After the up to 3 quarters, you return to the regular membership fee for unemployed members.
  • If you subsequently lose the right to unemployment benefit, contact IDA on tel. 33184848.

Remember to keep in touch with your A-kasse regarding payment of unemployment benefit, rules for unemployment etc. Read more at AKA - Akademikernes A-kasse.

Specially for students

If you are a student, the first study year is free.

  • Student members registered after 2 March 2017 get the first 12 months for free
  • If you study abroad as part of your Danish education, you can remain a student member.
    If you study a science or engineering degree abroad at a university that is eligible for admission to IDA, you can also be a student member.

If you study in Denmark and your current education does not qualify for admission, but you have finished an education that does qualify for a membership, you qualify for a reduced membership fee of DKK 97 / month. (DKK 289.25 per quarter).

Retired members

As a retired member, you do not get legal advice on salary and employment issues or career counselling, but continue to enjoy all other membership benefits. To become a pensioner member, you must be on early retirement (efterløn or førtidspension), or retirement and have less than 5 working hours per week on average or no work. Please note that there is no tax deduction for membership fees in the pensioner category. Please read the section below on Tax Exemption.

Discount if you pay annually

If you decide to pay your membership fees annually instead of quarterly, you get a 1.5 % discount on the listed IDA membership fees. However, unemployed, students, and members paying reduced fees are not eligible for the discount. 

Changes to annual payments can be made throughout the year, but must be made before 31 December to take effect from the following year. The annual fee must be paid on 5 February to obtain the discount.

Sign up for annual payment on your profile page under "Payment" (via My IDA).


Nordic guest membership

IDA has guest membership agreements with the Nordic engineering associations.

Read more and apply here


Conflict Fund and Bargaining Law

Self-employed and retired members do not contribute to the conflict fund, which for other member groups amounts to DKK 0.25 per quarter.

Employment without legal assistance and career counseling refers to members who are employed or have a daily place of work abroad, and for whose employment conditions Danish legislation or collective agreements do not apply. IDA does not provide legal or career advice for members in this category. The same may be the case for members who work in areas where IDA does not have the right to bargain (e.g. officers, high school teachers and electricians), and who are members of another union that has the right to bargain.

Reduction of fee when unemployment benefits have expired

Note that from 1 July 2013, IDA has given a fee reduction to the unemployed whose full unemployment benefit entitlement has expired (expiration date has occurred). The contingent is DKK 60 per. quarter.

Applications can be submitted via this form with documentation from the unemployment insurance fund stating that your unemployment benefit entitlement has expired.


Tax deduction for your membership fee

The membership fee can be claimed as a tax allowance. IDA annually reports paid membership fees to SKAT and you get your deduction automatically.

This includes fees from employed, self-employed and student members.

See and correct your tax assessment at

Some members’ fees, however, cannot be claimed as tax allowances. If you are retired, IDA does not report your fee because it is not a tax allowable expense (cf. ruling by SKAT). There are exceptions, though. If you have paid work, are on a civil servant pension plan, or on early retirement there may still be a way to get tax allowances. Contact IDA if one of the exceptions mentioned above applies to you.

In case you pay taxes abroad or similar, the possibilities for tax allowances depend on the specific and individual circumstances.

It is not necessarily a requirement that you have paid work to get tax allowances. If you are on leave, on maternity/paternity leave, enrolled in education, or similar, you can claim your membership fee as a tax allowance.