Career & Legal Advice

Unemployment insurance fund (A-kasse) and unemployment benefits for the self-employed

If you are self-employed, you do not have to change your A-Kasse (unemployment insurance fund). But there are special regulations to qualify for unemployment benefits.

You can continue with the A-kasse under Akademikernes A-kasse, even if you become self-employed. If you’re already a member and change from being an employee to being self-employed, you should contact the A-kasse and register as a self-employed person. The A-kasse will then give you more targeted service and advice.

New rules for unemployment benefits

Note: On 1 October 2018, the new rules for unemployment insurance benefits entered into force, and these affect the self-employed, freelancers, fee-based employees or people with combined earnings from several different sources. The regulations make earning entitlement to unemployment benefits more flexible and predictable, and it will be easier to start and stop a self-employed business. You can read about the most important changes in this article, and there is a complete overview of the new regulations here.

We recommend that you contact the Akademikernes A-kasse if you are in doubt about what the regulations mean for you.

Member of an A-kasse (unemployment insurance fund)

IDA recommends that you become or remain a member of Akademikernes A-kasse. You can also read more about the rules for A-kasse and unemployment benefits for the self-employed here, as well as the membership services offered by Akademikernes A-kasse.

Visit Akademikernes A-kasse

Legal counselling at IDA

IDA provides legal advice for the self-employed and freelancers, and for those who are employees and self-employed at the same time. Get legal counselling.