What is quality software development (QSD)?
Companies spend more than $300 billion per year worldwide debugging software. It costs four to five times as much to fix software bugs after release rather than during the development process. Demand for good software is at an all-time high. Building reliable, high quality software remains a major challenge.
(QSD) is a new certification developed by PEOPLECERT in collaboration with the Software Improvement Group (SIG), to certify programmers who have the necessary skillset to produce high quality code.
The Quality Software Development certification, is aimed at software developers who want to understand and implement leading principles and processes to deliver well maintainable, high quality code. This qualification enables professionals to provide organizations with a competitive advantage: better code = better business.
By providing practical knowledge, tools, techniques and guidelines adaptable to any business sector or industry, QSD enables professionals to produce reliable software systems that can be tested and modified with ease and speed.
This course in QSD certification covers the following topics:
- How to identify bad practices through code smells
- Theory and examples of ten maintainability guidelines
- Refactoring techniques to improve maintainability of smelly code
- Example exam questions to prepare for certification
- Next steps
What are the 10 maintainability guidelines?
The course is for software developers and technical it management
- Write short units – short units are easier to understand
- Write simple units of code – simple units are easier to test
- Write code once – duplicated code means duplicated bugs and duplicated changes
- Keep unit interfaces small – units with small interfaces are easier to reuse
- Separate Concerns in Modules – modules with a single responsibility are easier to change
- Couple architecture components loosely – Independent components can be maintained in isolation
- Keep architecture components balanced – a balanced architecture makes it easier to find your way
- Keep your codebase small – a small codebase requires less effort to maintain
- Automate tests – automated tests are repeatable, and help to prevent bugs
- Write clean code – “leave the campground cleaner than you found it”
The course is hands-on and primarily for software developers, who would like to learn how to write well-maintainable quality code. It also applies to software development teams who want to learn from best practices, to ensure they produce well-maintainable software. The course is also open to technical IT management.
Participants are expected to bring their own laptop with a development environment that supports either Java or C#. Code samples are available for both Java and C.#
Recommended background: at least 2 years of development experience in Object-Oriented Programming language, or a BSc in Computer Science or Software Engineering.
QSD benefits for it professionals:
- Software developers learn the concepts that influence source code maintainability
- Software developers learn how to create consistent, well maintainable code from start to finish
- Software development teams will be able to adopt best practices to produce maintainable software
- Software developers deliver demonstrably more value and gain a higher productivity
QSD benefits for the organisation:
- Gain a competitive advantage, to support developers producing code that is better and cheaper
- Initial development benefits from high maintainability, visible from day one
- Sustainable business needs maintainable software
- Cost and time-to-market are lower with higher maintainability
- Software quality is too often left to chance: agreement on general direction, not on specifics
- Fully aligned with SIG’s ISO/IEC 25010-based Maintainability model
Course agenda on Quality Software DevelopmentDay 1
- Maintainability Guidelines #1
- Maintainability Guidelines #2
- Refactoring Techniques, practical examples
- Automated Testing, Code Hygiene, practical examples
- Example exam questions, next steps
- Option for QSD Exam
Note: The QSD exam voucher has a limited validity. The participant is scheduled to take the exam at the end of the second day of the course. If the participant choses to take the exam áfter the course, the voucher expiry date should be observed.
QSD foundation exam details:
- Currently available for Java and C#
- 75 questions
- Exam duration: 2 hours
- Closed book
The course include:
- 2 course days - 9.00-16.00 – breakfast from 8.30
- Voucher to take the ‘Quality Software Developer Foundation Certificate in Maintainability’ exam
- The Book ‘Building Maintainable Software’ (Java or C# edition), by Joost Visser
- 1 Instructor
- All meals included
- Course material
- Course certificate
- Quality Software Developer Foundation Certificate in Maintainability
Please note that your registration for participation is binding.