Companies spend more than $300 billion per year worldwide debugging software. It costs four to five times as much to fix software bugs after release rather than during the development process. Demand for good software is at an all-time high. Building reliable, high quality software remains a major challenge.
What is Quality Software Development (QSD)?
(QSD) is a new certification developed by PEOPLECERT in collaboration with the Software Improvement Group (SIG), to certify programmers who have the necessary skillset to produce high quality code.
The Quality Software Development certification, is aimed at software developers who want to understand and implement leading principles and processes to deliver well maintainable, high quality code. This qualification enables professionals to provide organizations with a competitive advantage: better code = better business.
By providing practical knowledge, tools, techniques and guidelines adaptable to any business sector or industry, QSD enables professionals to produce reliable software systems that can be tested and modified with ease and speed.
This Course covers the following topics:
• How to identify bad practices through code smells
• Theory and examples of ten maintainability guidelines
• Refactoring techniques to improve maintainability of smelly code
• Example exam questions to prepare for certification
• Next steps
Who is the course for?
The course is for software developers with experience in Object-Oriented Programming technologies (i.e. Java, C#), who would like to learn how to write well-maintainable quality code. It also applies to software development teams who want to learn from best practices, to ensure they produce well-maintainable software.
The course is hands on and primarily aimed at software developers, architects and QA staff, but is also open to technical IT management.
Recommended background: at least 2 years of development experience in Object-Oriented Programming language, or a BSc in Computer Science or Software Engineering.
Participants are expected to bring their own laptop with a development environment that supports either Java or C#. Code samples are available for both Java and C#
Benefits to Individuals
• Software developers learn the concepts that influence source code maintainability
• Software developers learn how to create consistent, well maintainable code from start to finish
• Software development teams will be able to adopt best practices to produce maintainable software
• Software developers deliver demonstrably more value and gain a higher productivity
Benefits to Organisations
• Gain a competitive advantage, to support developers producing code that is better and cheaper
• Initial development benefits from high maintainability, visible from day one
• Sustainable business needs maintainable software
• Cost and time-to-market are lower with higher maintainability
• Software quality is too often left to chance: agreement on general direction, not on specifics
• Fully aligned with SIG’s ISO/IEC 25010-based Maintainability model
• Maintainability Guidelines #1
• Maintainability Guidelines #2
• Refactoring Techniques, practical examples
• Automated Testing, Code Hygiene, practical examples
• Example exam questions, next steps
• QSD Exam
Note: The QSD exam voucher has a limited validity. The participant is scheduled to take the exam at the end of the second day of the course. If the participant choses to take the exam áfter the course, the voucher expiry date should be observed.
Foundation exam details
• Currently available for Java and C#
• 75 questions
• Exam duration: 2 hours
• Closed book
The price include
• 2 course days - 9.00-17.00 – breakfast from 8.30
• Voucher to take the ‘Quality Software Developer Foundation Certificate in Maintainability’ exam
• The Book ‘Building Maintainable Software’ (Java or C# edition), by Joost Visser
• 1 Instructor
• All meals included
• Course material
• Course certificate
• Quality Software Developer Foundation Certificate in Maintainability
Please note that your registration for participation is binding.
ANYONE CAN JOIN - Most of IDA's events are open to everyone, but you must have an IDA user profile in order to participate. It's free and non-binding - create a user profile now. As a member of IDA, you get a discount on many of our events, so please sign in with your member login when you sign up for an event. Read more about the benefits of an IDA membership here.