Application and CV
Sidst opdateret: Wednesday, 23. November 2016 - 13:00 / caf
As a rule, a job application in Denmark is made up of two parts: an application and a CV. They are equally important and must supplement each other.
Your job application is your chance to convince your potential employer that you are the most suitable candidate for the job.
How to write an application
It is important that your application is specific to the company and the actual job. You shouldn't use exactly the same application for several companies.
Your job application must focus on what you can offer the company in this job – what they will gain by employing you. You will need to list the reasons why you are the best person for the job and back these up with examples.
The application itself must not fill more than one page.
An application usually contains the following points, and usually in that order:
- An engaging headline that captures who you are
- What is your motivation for applying for this job? Describe why you think the company and the job are interesting.
- Describe why you are the right candidate for the job
- How do you fulfil the job criteria?
- Describe your experience with tasks that relate to those listed in the job ad
- How does your personal profile match the job and the company?
How to write a CV
A CV usually contains the following points, and usually in that order:
- Personal information, name, address, phone number, email, date of birth, marital status, children.
- Work experience, your career: places of employment and description of the main tasks/responsibilities - in reverse chronological order with your current job at the top.
- Education: your formal education and possible other programs. If you are a recent graduate and thus without work experience, put this point as number 2 and write a little bit about your thesis, key projects and internships.
- Language / Study abroad
- IT skills
- Leisure time, sports, community work and other important activities.
Let us help you
IDA will assist you with input and feedback on your job application or CV. Send us an email via contact form in the right column and attach:
- The job posting that you are looking at (if possible in the form of link).
- Your application
- Your CV
We ask you to enter your phone number (daytime), so that we can reach you.
Get inspiration from these examples of CVs
More useful advice about job applications and CVs
Find more information and good advice on how to write an application and CV on Work in Denmark's website.
Solicited and unsolicited applications
Meet Career Counselor Lise Dan from IDA. (15:06)
LinkedIn & CV
Using LinkedIn to find a job. And what to write in Your CV. Meet Career Counselor Lise Dan from IDA. (19:03)